Click on a name to visit their page,

German Spring Offensives

March 21, 1918 - Germany's all-out gamble for victory begins upon the launch of the first of a series of successive spring offensives on the Western Front.

March 21, 1918 - Germany's all-out gamble for victory begins upon the launch of the first of a series of successive spring offensives on the Western Front. The Saint Michael Offensive, named after Germany's patron saint, begins after a five-hour 6,000-gun artillery bombardment as 65 divisions from the German 2nd, 17th and 18th Armies attack the British 3rd and 5th Armies along a 60-mile front in the Somme.

At first it seems destined to succeed as the thinly stretched British 5th Army is quickly overrun and wrecked. Using effective storm troop tactics, the Germans recapture all of the ground they lost in 1916 during the Battle of the Somme and press forward. However, during the two week offensive, the British 3rd Army manages to hold itself together and prevents the Germans from taking Arras and Amiens, key objectives of the offensive.

A French youngster tags along with British troops as they enter the city of Lille in northeast France, liberating it after four continuous years of German occupation.

British troops gaze at German machine-guns after their capture of Tilloy, north of Cambrai, France.

November 11, 1918

At 5:10 am, in a railway car at Compiègne, France, the Germans sign the Armistice which is effective at 11 am--the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month.

Fighting continues all along the Western Front until precisely 11 o'clock, with 2,000 casualties experienced that day by all sides.

Artillery barrages also erupt as 11 am draws near as soldiers yearn to claim they fired the very last shot in the war.

French civilians at Place de la Concorde in Paris gaze at some of the German weaponry surrendered after the Armistice.

This photo is most certainly taken of Anie Mycock in the first year of the Great War.
I currently believe she was born in Chapel-en-le frith in 1888.
Annie worked in Whaley Bridge as a domestic servant for Mr and Mrs Dawson at West View Horwich End Whaley Bridge.

Annie was the sister of Lt. Sam Mycock remebered on Whaley Bridge Memorial.

She died aged 24 years in Rochdale Memorial Home where she nursed wounded service men.

Pte 77254 Lawrence Chorley West Yorkshire Regiment

The 1901 census shows Lawrence (1) living at Lower Level Fernilee alongside John Boak (63) Ann Boak (60) Annie Jepson (28) Harry Jepson (28) Mary B Boak (12

No service records survive for Lawrence other than medal index card showing entitled to War and Victory medals. it is understood he enlisted in 1918 arriving at the front lines later that year.

Lawrence was wounded and he lost part of one shoulder. He survived the war and later lived on Buxton Road Whaley Bridge.

It is hoped newspaper research will shed more light on Lawrence Chorley’s war service.

Pvt. Ernest Raymond Woolley

Receiving his Military Medal, the location appears to be the now car park of the "Jodrell Arms" Whaley Bridge is the presenter perhaps Col. Hall?

Below a group photo that is believed to include Ernest Woolley. The back of the postcard says “ I am stood at the back” due to the height in the photo of Ernest receiving his Military Medal and the photo he looks like he is 4th from the left, although he could be the person in the centre if he was stood on the step.
The back of the postcard also says you can tell the corporal and the sergeant is standing next to Smithy.
We would like to find out if this is definitely Ernest Woolley and who Simthy was he was clearly someone that meant something to the family and Ernest.

The donator of theses two images added

"Someone might know who the Corporal and Sergeant are?
Please feel free to share this postcard as someone else might be able to find a relative".

Casualties of a gas attack.

George Cook.

My grandfather George Cook (1900-1974) joined the Durham Light Infantry aged 17. On completion of his basic training and transfer to Boulogne, the furthest he ever travelled abroad, the Armistice was signed. He remained enlisted long enough to gain his first stripe as Lance Corporal.

Family history.

He was born in 1900 in Roach Cottages, Buxton Rd. Whaley Bridge the youngest child of James and Emily Cook. His mother died in 1907 after being knocked down by a milk cart on that same section of road. His father died 2 years later. His brother-in-law Arthur Cornes got him a job as a delivery boy before he joined the army late in the war. He followed the progress of the war in 1914/15 by subscribing to the 'Vivid' journal/comic bounded copies of which he passed to me in the 1960s to assist with my History O-level. My aunt, a history teacher, did point out the obvious that quotations from a blatant propaganda "newspaper" could hardly be used as objective facts in an essay. George married in 1923 after leaving the army and lived in Buxton for a few years before moving back to Whaley to live in the new Taxal estate, in what is now 165 Macclesfield Road.

Contributed by

David Macaulay his grandson


Home Page