The Bridge Tavern, Bridge Street New Mills.
Thought to be billiards at New Mills Conservative Club.
|Wedding Group outside Hillcroft, 8 Longlands Road. Bride Cecilia Wharmby, Groom John Peter Beverley. Jan 1904.|
Watford Bridge Printworks circ: 1920 ?
New Mills Wesleyan Sunday School picnic.
Market Street c.1965
Opening New Mills Car Park June 29th 1965
|From left: Councillor F M Bullough, Councillor K R Gordon (Urban District Council chairman), Councillor E Oldfield, Jack Bailey (Clerk to Urban District council), Edwin Wade, Councillor W H Ferguson, Councillor R D Swinburn, John Pearson (surveyor), Dennis Vernon, Councillor E F Rowbottom, Harold Etchells (clerk's department), Councillor Dr L Millward, Peter Bowden (clerk's department), Councillor F S Kitchen.|
Bate Mill High Walls Farm on the hill c.1950
May 8th 1906 New Mills Flood
of the Congregational Church, Mellor Road, in grounds of Manse.
Back row. From left: 1. Miss Woodward, 5. Miss Clara Woolley (aged about 18 years, aunt to Mrs Handford), 6. Polly Yates, 10. Mrs Whitaker, 11. Miss Alice Salisbury./ Middle row: 2. Miss Knowles, 4. Mrs Richardson ( sister to Mrs Whitaker). Front row: 1. Mrs Ruth Jepson (aged about 15 years, and sister to Miss Woolley). c:1910
Leighton c:1920 looking towards junction with High Hill Road.|
The Co-op on the left and the semis was built in 1908.
Union Road New Mills
Market Street - Image Donald Ibbotson Collection
Union Road - ( Is the boy bottom left holding a chicken?).
A fine example of the work of New Mills photographer T Randles. In this instance Frederick Morris born 1876 New Mills and his bride.
Mr. Randles address is shown as 41, Bridge Street, I have reason to believe that
his darkrooms were beneath 45, Bridge Street. - In the early 1950's my uncle,
George Thompson rented no. 45 which had beneath it four cellars, one of which
contained hundreds of glass plate negatives. There was and still is an entrance
from the lane that joins Mellor Road to Bridge Street. Very sad to say they were
all consigned to the dustbin over several collection days.
Horse Inn, Mellor Road. c. 1902. Part of Broadhurst Farm can be seen on extreme
From left:- Harry Griffin, his eldest daughter Ada, his wife Mary Ann, Blind Tom, ? , daughter Florence Griffin, daughter Edith Griffin.
of William Sharples, Pharmacist and Wine Merchant, 36 Market Street.|
He is listed in Market Street on the census returns for 1891, 1901 and 1911, aged 48 in 1911.
|Marshall's Bakers High Street New Mills - baby Frank Marshall - Below 5 years later Frank 2nd row centre.|
group. Spring Bank Infant School. 1928 or 1929.
Middle row: Doreen Statham, ? Slack, Betty Wharmby, Frank Marshall, Peggy Wharmby (twin of Betty), Hilda Smith, Marjorie Wright, Sylvia White,
Front row: Doris Wild, Wright Storer, Elsie Jackson.
New Mills Home Guard Dispatch Riders on Town Hall forecourt WW2.
From left Mr Spencer (from Thornsett), Alf Smith (barber), Eric Livesley (Hayfield chemist), Frank Marshall (baker), Edgar Thorpe (driver), Alf Clapham (cabinet maker), Mr Greenwood (engineer).
Flood of River Sett with Watford Printworks behind. May 8th 1906
Street / High Street junction. Looking up Market Street towards Town Hall, no.
18 at front left.|
High Street is the road on the right. On the left is a well which was piped under the road about 1945. It can now be seen in High Street.
to be back of Higginbottom's shop, Market Street.|
The yokes on the wall were for bullocks used for ploughing. According to James Garside, writing in 1933,the old gentleman is Isaac Watt Boulton, Ashton locomotive engineer. (It seems unlikely that the photo was taken in New Mills).
Pickerwood Temperance Jazz Band.c1920
|Spring Bank, near Spring Mount Chapel. Laying electricity cable. Man on left is Samuel Swann, foreman. c1930|
|New Mills Library under construction 1909. Second from left is Fred Boyle who was working for his father Sam.|
Lane. Shows Pineapple Inn, Grapes Inn and Cock Inn. c1910.|
Part of Windsor Castle Lodging House visible on right. St James' Hall at top left.
|Grapes Hotel, Dyehouse Lane. Landlord Oswald Kirk standing in doorway. c1900.|
of people outside front door of Wesley Mount, Spring Bank.|
The lady in the bath chair is believed to be the daughter of Mr Scott, Methodist minister.
J D Lomax, Family Grocer, 44 Market Street, New Mils.
J A Ingham's clothing shop, 1 Union Road. Now Barclays Bank.
Edge Colliery No 2, or New Pit. Situated by the side of Oven Hill Road.|
on Ollersett Moor at SK022858. The reservoir is still there (1985) but only traces of the building foundations remain.
Steam train coming under Church Road Bridge towards New Mills c.Early 1950's
Jubilee Cafe, 86-88 Market Street now William Barton's Furniture. Also shows opticians shop at 90 Market Street - 1961
Ironmongers shop, Market Street, No 27. c. 1900|
This was the shop of Thomas William Stafford, who lived on Chapel Street. His son Obadiah was the ironmonger. By 1916 it had become the Co-operative Shoe shop. Demolished 1981.In 1911 it was occupied as a lockup shop by the Co-operative Society.
of Edward Godward. 1908
Loading coffin into hearse at Cliff House, Albion Road where he lived.
Funeral of Edward Godward. Procession on Church Road railway bridge
Edward Godward 18411908 was the owner of Brunswick Mill on the Peak Forest Canal, a cotton mill, He became the first chairman of New Mills UDC, in 1894.
It is now a sweet factory - Swizzels-Matlow.
|Engine and men believed to be in Marsh Lane area. Engine has name plate Heathcote and Hudswell Clarke and Co. No 455 LEEDS 1896 Railway Foundry. Mr Joyce - born about 1857 - is one of the men.|
(one a Model T) outside the Conservative Club, Union Road for a Wedding.|
The cars were owned by G.A. Redfern of Spring Bank. The driver on the right is Wilf Burton of Cresswell Avenue. circa 1925
Advert for charabancs from G. and A. Redfern, Spring Bank. April 1923.
Foy's corner showing Foy's greengrocer's stall and the end of Market Street. The Railway, Alsop and Clayton decorators, and the Crescent. c 1970.
|George Alsop - Born 1864 in New Mills, High Peak, Derbyshire Died 27 Mar 1938.|
Alsop and Clayton Painters c.1924
Street decorated for a carnival in aid of the Indian Famine Fund July 1900.
Market Street. c.1900
late 1920's 'Golden Boot' was run by Mr Street, Alsop and Clayton's
shop also shown.
|Market Street, New Mills looking towards Town Hall. Wyatt's bread van in centre of road. Hunters shop on right hand side, with manager G West in the doorway.|
Pair of large semi-detached houses on Spring Bank, near junction with Mellor Road. c1900.
Now called The Grange and Cliff Lodge. These Victorian villas were built in 1877, probably for managers at the mills. Spring Bank was just being developed as a residential area.
Pott, Herbalist Shop, 76 Albion Road. Showing Albert Potts (son of James Pott)
with his wife Minnie and children.|
Albert Potts ran the shop until he died in 1953 in his seventies. The shop was then sold.
|Mount Pleasant Methodist Free Church with drinking fountain and gable end of Dr Anderton's house, Thornfield on Spring Bank. c. 1907|
Mount Pleasant Methodist Free Church, Spring Bank, soon after being built in 1892
The oldest grave in the yard is 1839, and the last burial was in 1972. The church itself was erected in 1892 and closed in 1980. The foundation stone was laid by J Arnfield Esq in May 1892. The chapel was destroyed by fire in August 1993.
|Albion Road looking up with Queens Hotel and junction with Union Road at front right. Circa 1927.|
Hare and Hounds Inn Low Leighton
'Susan' and firemen at Fire Station in Hague Bar Road. c.1930's
( Another engine Jean was acquired in 1936.) Man on left Councillor J W Cochrane.
Man on right with bowler hat was Mr W C Sheard (council surveyor).
Driver is Esmond Redmill. Captain to right is James Lampard. Group of 4 firemen to left of ladder: Front left: Frank Hardman, back left: Stephen Rose. Group of 3 firemen to right of ladder
Mills Congos (Congregational Church) choir outing. circa 1905.
Top row on right is Roland Higginbottom, of Market Street ironmongers, and his fiancee Edith Rigg.
Bank Road and end of Dale Road under construction. New Mills secondary school
Dale Road was built by and named after Joseph Dale Swindells who lived in the bungalow on the extreme bottom right of the picture.
|Mr James and Mrs Elizabeth Wharmby in their car, thought to be the first in New Mills. James Wharmby was a grocer and corn-chandler who built Carlton Villas on Longlands Road.|
From a postcard with 1913 postmark.
Torr Mill, Kinder View, Sheffield Railway Line, ruins of Barnes Mill behind.
Rock Street, Chain Horse House, etc., in background.
Weslyan Chapel St. George's Road, New Mills, with Chapel House adjoining. Now demolished. This picture c. 1924.
tragic story is attached to a grave close to the chapel, over which there is a
stone containing the following inscription: |
Sacred to the memory of Paul Mason who departed this life April 9th 1813, aged
At New Mills Wakes in 1812, a number of men, bent on having a lark, made a raid on the farm house at Green Head, between New Mills and Bugsworth, and finding no money, damaged the furniture and destroyed the milk and butter. In those days this was a capital offence. No one had the least idea who were the culprits, but detachments of Scots Greys invaded New Mills on several occasions, and the result was that about fifteen men were tried at Derby. The general, indeed, almost the unanimous opinion was that the witnesses were altogether wrong, and all were discharged but three. Although these three protested their innocence, they were sentenced to be hung, and one of these was Paul Mason, who was declared to be innocent, and protested to his last breath. Here is an exact copy of the letter he wrote to his wife:
Gaol, April 5. 1813.
Poor Paul Mason's body was brought to New Mills, and strange to say, on its arrival the body was found to be warm. Several gurgling sounds as though life was not quite extinct, were emitted from the throat, and in the opinion of some people his life might have been saved had means been taken to resuscitate him. It will be seen his "little Hannah" lived eight years after her father, and although there are no more inscriptions on the stone, the chapel records are complete as to the occupants of the grave. Here they are:
sold to Paul Mason.
will thus be seen that " poor little Joseph '' lived to be 25, and "
poor little James'' to be an old man of 73.
Salem Cottages and Salem Bridge, after floods. c1930
Flood May 8th 1906 the Lodging House, Dye House Lane, in the background.