Little Hayfield

Little Hayfield with cobble stones.

Sheep shearing at Booth Farm Kinder, John W Needham, Thomas Marriot and Esther Needham. c. 1900

Market Street Hayfield

Church Street Hayfield, and a concertina band.

High Street Hayfield extending to Kinder Road.

Lower Cliff Hayfield.

Hayfield cottages now demolished - loaction Swallow House Lane, leading to -The Crossings.

Booth Farm Kinder.

Booth Farm Kinder.

Group at Farlands, Kinder.3rd from left: Mrs F. Bennett. Standing in centre by tent: Mr Bennett.

The Coach House at Farlands.

This old photo was taken in Hayfield. The young boy on the wagon is my grandfather Herbert Turner, I was told the man on the right was his uncle Jim. - by Vivian McDermott

The 1932 Kinder Trespass began at Bowden Bridge quarry near Hayfield. It proceeded via William Clough to the plateau of Kinder Scout, where there were violent scuffles with gamekeepers. The ramblers were able to reach their destination and meet with another group. On the return, five ramblers were arrested, with another detained earlier. Trespass was not, and still is not, a criminal offence in any part of Britain, but some would receive jail sentences of two to six months for offences relating to violence against the keepers.

GHB Ward (centre with stick and white jumper) trespassing on Kinder Scout.

George Herbert Bridges Ward, known as G. H. B. Ward or Bert Ward
(1876 - 14 October 1957) was an activist for walkers' rights and a Labour Party politician.

Born in central Sheffield, Ward worked as an engineer in a local steelworks. In 1900, he founded the Sheffield Clarion Ramblers recognised as the first working class rambling club with a walk around Kinder Scout. The club was named for The Clarion socialist newspaper.

The Clarion Rambling Club became the chief organisation campaigning for public access to the moorland areas of the Dark Peak. As early as 1907, Ward participated in an illegal mass trespass of Bleaklow, a forerunner of the 1932 Mass trespass of Kinder Scout.

A supporting rally at "Winnats Pass".

April 1932, over 400 people participated in a mass trespass onto Kinder Scout. 

Market St, c. 1960's

Little Hayfield with cobble stones.

Hayfield Ladies Hockey Team, at Stalybridge Celtic Football Ground 1927.
Back row: Nora Livesley, ? , Alice Clarke, Clara Kinder, Winnie Seacombe. Front row: Emma Livesley, Olga Livesley, M Dewsbury, Mar. Hadfield,
M Lowe, G Sunman, M Handley.

Kinder Road Hayfield.

Kinder Valley.

Hayfield May Queen Day.

Before the Bypass.

The Ashes Farm.

Bowden Bridge Kinder Valley, Hayfield.

Hayfield Station.

Procession in Market Street, Hayfield. Reunion of Hayfield Church Sabbath Schools. 1907.

Church Street, Hayfield drapery shop of J.C. Hudson on left. Newsagents on right.

Hayfield Board School 1902.

Samuel Hall of Quaker Cottage, Ovenhill Road.

Samuel was a bachelor, the son of Charles Hall (born 1847) and Mary (nee Swindells).

Charles Hall his father born 1847 married Mary Swindells in 1884 and they occupied the cottage with their family Samuel, James, Ellen, Hannah, Ralph, John, Albert and William.

Charles died in 1934 and is buried in Hayfield Cemetery. Of the sons Albert was killed 4th September 1918 aged 20. John was killed 24th September 1917 aged 22. James was killed 18th May 1918.

Of these six sons three died and two were wounded during WW1. Ellen and Samuel remained single and lived at Quaker Cottage.

Information about the Hall family:
James Hall son of John and born 1813 Martha married Tabitha Waterhouse in 1839. This family were the first to occupy Quaker Cottage. Their son Charles born 1847 married Mary Swindells in 1884

Coldwell Clough Farm Hayfield.

Hayfield School 1899 - Mr Beardwood headmaster.

Market Street Hayfield. Picture thanks to Marjorie Shaw

Ladies Cricket Team, Hayfield. c: 1913-14

Bungalows and Kozy Cinema, New Mills Road, opening night of the Kozy 21 Dec 1921. The Kozy cinema and estate were owned by James Derbyshire. Eventually Mr and Mrs Shearsmith became the owners and changed its name to Tivoli. The fire which burned it down is reported in the Reporter for 4 Jun 1932.



A very wet "May Queen" procession.


Hayfield Recruits. c.1914

Picture of HAYFIELD RECRUITING OFFICE 1914
As has been mentioned elswhere Hayfield didn't have a recruiting office you had to go to Glossop, Buxton or New Mills. The feeling is that this might be the recruiting office at Tideswell.
.(Thanks John Pope).

The Brave Hayfield Men Lost in WW1


Carr Meadow Hayfield.

The Junction Inn at top of Church Street, Hayfield. It was demolished for road widening in 1935.

Chapel Street, Hayfield. Ardern's Row with the Commercial Inn.

Kinder Bank. Sportsmans Arms and cottages. (Sportsmans Arms now occupies the whole block.)

Church Street Hayfield c.1901

The Old Parsonage, Stubbs Farm, Hayfield.

Destroyed cottages in Spring Vale Road, Hayfield, after the air-raid of 3 July 1942.

Thanks to Julian Thompson fort the above Newspaper cuttings..


From the Reporter 1919.

Thanks to Paul Wilson his grandson for the following information.

He was my grandad he died in 1936 he was born in 1881 my mother was born in 1927, she was only 9 years old when he died.

Fred was 38 in 1919 and the 5 children mentioned in the cutting are Alice, Gwen, Olive, Tom, and Bert.
He had 6 more children after this. Fred was one of the youngest of a large family he had older brothers and sisters.

The daddy of the Ambrey family all 11 of them.
Born in 1881
Leg blown off in WW1 as you can just about make out in this very old photo.

Posted Feb14th 2015 by Paul Wilson

The Hayfield Union Workhouse above, was in fact located in New Mills at Lowleighton and has now been coverted into apartments.

Four Cooper sisters of Hayfield (Mary, Ann, Hannah and Evelyn) with their mother Edith. Hannah Robinson (nee Cooper) was killed in the July 1942 bombing of Hayfield.

:Little Hayfield c.?

Mr John Slack, papermaker. Born at Bank Vale, Hayfield, 4 Apr. 1813.
Died at Hall Bank, Buxton, 15 Dec. 1892.

Wood Print Works Hayfield

Hayfield Church

Hayfield Station

Steam train at Hayfield Station chimney of Wood Printworks in centre

Hayfield Railway Line at New Mills. Signal box and St. George's Road bridge. View towards Hayfield

Winter Hayfield Station - Back to top of page

January 1970 - Three of the passengers on the last train to depart from Hayfield at 10 pm.
They travelled to New Mills, then caught the last train back to Hayfield which left New Mills at 10.31 pm.
The passengers are Margaret Simpson (aged 17), Veronica Sinclair (aged 24) and Jon Bennett (aged 28).
High Peak Reporter, January 9 1970.

Park Hall Little Hayfield.

Park Hall from the North.

Park Hall swimming pool, Little Hayfield.c. 1935

The County Bank Hayfield next to the Royal Hotel

The Bridge Inn

Hayfield Cricket Team. Opening match played on New Mills Cricket Ground. 4 May 1901

The names are shown under the photo. Standing in suits, from left to right: A Belford L Smith secretary, W Bowden president, W Garner chairman of committee. Standing in whites from left to right: G W Eyre umpire, W Radford captain, J Vernon D Kenyon JW Seddon R Gibson Seated from left to right: J Bowden J Whitehead H Garside R Leech A Belford H Harrison

Porritt's drapers shop, Manchester House, Market Street, Hayfield.

Back to top of page

Luke Garside, a prominent figure in Hayfield at the time. He lived in Church Street, was a stationer and tobacconist also a member of the parish council.

Baker's cart, Hayfield - Miss Hilda Brennand had a confectionery and baker's shop at High Grove, Hayfield in approx 1930.

Luke Garsides Shop

Luke Garside (Left).

On the original it is writen Hoppy & Smoke probably the nicknames of the two gentlemen on the cart.

Kinder Print Works

Back to top of page

Manager of Kinder Printworks. In car with poster "Vote for Profumo"c.1910.

Re-opening of the bells procession headed by brass band passing Zion Chapel, Birch Vale. The tower of Hayfield Church had been heightened and the bells raised

The procession was on its way to the residence of Mr Obadiah Porritt at Birch Vale. Mr Porritt was an ex-churchwarden

Re-opening of the Bells Procession 1909

Higher Cliffs near Hayfield. c1917

Back to top of page

Return to Home